Writing Partners, Estimating, and Hopes


I enjoyed seeing many of you at Back-to-School Night.  Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to come and learn about third grade.  If you were not able to attend I am sending home the packet of information that was shared in the classroom. Please contact me with additional questions.  Thank you to those of you who have filled out the survey.  If you have not had a chance to do so, please take a moment to respond.  It is very helpful information as I continue to get to get to know your children and work to create our partnership.  Third graders are enjoying learning more about one another through the clue box.  Ask your child what clue he/she shared.  After each third grader and teacher shared his/her hope or dream for the year, we brainstormed ways that we could help our classmates achieve their hopes and dreams.  Some of the ideas that students thoughtfully shared were to read quietly when classmates are reading so they can become better readers, to include new people in our games so classmates can make new friends, and to ask classmates if they need help so everyone can learn new things. We also signed our “Hopes and Dreams Quilt” as a reminder of what we agreed to work on this year. Third graders are finished having keyboarding every day.  We will continue visiting the E & P lab once or twice a week.  However, I encourage them to continue practicing keyboarding at home! 

We finished the first unit, Numbers to 10,000.  Students were highly successful with this first math unit of third grade.  They engaged in the games, conversations and student work eagerly and productively. We started the second unit, Mental Math and Estimation.  In this unit we have practiced a number of different strategies for adding and subtracting numbers mentally.  We also practiced using rounding and front-end estimation to estimate sums and difference.  There are many real world applications of these skills and I encourage you to have your third grader use estimation while grocery shopping.

I am almost finished listening to each child read independently.  This information is very helpful as we move ahead with Readers’ Workshop.  Please help your child remember to have a “just right” reading book at school every day.  Our independent reading work has been focused on habits of a good reader. We discussed how important it was for third graders to stop and think as they read. In addition, we shared strategies for choosing a just "right book". Thank you for your support in developing strong reading habits at home.   

Each third grader was assigned a writing partner.  It has been wonderful to watch them collaborate and set goals together.  Each partnership chose something that they were going to help one another with. I was impressed as I heard students ask others to help them use a storyteller's voice, come up with new ideas, and write more.